The little seaside holiday town of 1770 sits on a peninsula with the ocean on one side and Bustard Bay on the other. It was named 1770 because it is where James Cook landed to get fresh water in 1770 when he discovered the East Coast of Australia. It is a great place for fishermen and tourists who like a quiet time.
We did a 35k/25m tour along the Bay shoreline to the Bustard Head Lightstation in an amphibious vehicle.
Xanthia or Grass Trees were abundant on the way up to the lighthouse.
The lighthouse was built in 1868 and manned every night for 118 years until automated in 1986. For the next 16 years vandals all but destroyed the surrounding buildings until a volunteer organisation formed to renovate the lighthouse keeper's residence and turn it into a museum.
Bustard Bay from Bustard Head. It was named after the birds eaten by James Cook's men but apparently they were mistaken. They weren't Bustard Birds but a different kind.
It was a short walk from our cabin through the bush to the ocean beach. No houses or buildings or people absolutely natural and lovely.View Larger Map