The pioneer Patrick Lesley built the house but didn't stay long and he sold it to John Wickham, Police Magistrate of the Moreton Bay Settlement.
Later it became the home of George and Jane Harris, ship owner and Consul for the USA. They lived there for 27 years.
During this time it came to epitomise the elegant Brisbane society.
In 1878 the Newstead estate was subdivided to create the suburb of today's Newstead.
In 1939 the house was preserved by the Queensland Government as an example of the earliest domestic architecture.
The back of the house has a lovely view over the extensive gardens and parkland.....
and down to the Brisbane River.
He looks familiar.