Brisbane, QLD


Tuesday, March 8, 2011

INTERNATIONAL WOMENS DAY 100TH CELEBRATION.

About International Women's Day

When:  Tuesday 8 March 2011
Where: Everywhere
What:   International Women's Day (8 March) is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future. In some places like China, Russia, Vietnam and Bulgaria, International Women's Day is a national holiday.
Why:   Suffragettes campaigned for women's right to vote. The word 'Suffragette' is derived from the word "suffrage" meaning the right to vote. International Women's Day honours the work of the Suffragettes, celebrates women's success, and reminds of inequities still to be redressed. The first International Women's Day event was run in 1911. 2011 is the Global Centenary Year. Let's reinvent opportunity for working women and all women. 

I was reading on one site where the reader was asked to nominate a woman who has inspired them the most.I thought about all the famous women in politics, business, medicine, arts, and sport etc but I kept thinking more about the women closer to me, like my late mother and my two daughters. 
My mother and me.
My mother left her home in Yorkshire as a teenager to study Nursing in a London hospital. She married and had two children and then suffered 6 years of war torn London. The little family migrated to Australia after the war with very little money. I am inspired by the way my mother struggled in her new country to build a home and educate her children and make a comfortable life for herself by working hard for many years. She was a loving, caring and supportive mother.

Meeting up in UK while they were both working there.
I am inspired by my fun loving daughters, who worked hard at school and university. They have travelled the world and had extraordinary experiences. They are both successful career women and one a loving mother.
These are the three women who have inspired me.

24 comments:

  1. They want to kill rodents like immigrant rats and stoats which eat the eggs of native Kiwis and other birds.

    Watched on TV news your PM with Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect Ann is answering a question you posed on her blog. Hope so, at any rate.

    I like this post of yours, Diane. i have just written a potted biography of my GG grandmother for my niece. They were sooo determined back in those days. They were desperate to escape poverty, and by george hard work was the way out.

    Thank you for the wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Julie Ann was telling me why they drop poison in some areas in NZ, which is damaging other wildlife. I wondered what the target was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post, Diane, from both a loving daughter and loving Mother!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And well you should be proud! And I LOVED that picture of your daughters.

    I read about women who had to live through places during the war torn years and absolutely marvel at their courage and strength to get through each day. I think about the pioneer women who walked across the plains of this country with little kids, pregnant and worse . . .having to give birth in conditions like that. Then I think about myself and feel quite foolish when I know that I could not have done what our mothers before us did. Are we all born in a certain time on purpose for reasons we do not know? Deep question.

    Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a very touching post Diane - 3 remarkable women (4 actually as I include you too). x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A hearwarming post; sometimes we don't have to look far for inspiring women. Very cute picture of your daughters :)
    ☼ Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Diane! Congrats! Hope you had a great Day!!

    Nice was missing you at the Carnival, though this time Carnival was already over... ;)
    Enjoy and have a great rest of the week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very nice post, you don't have to look far for inspiration indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came back to see if the picture of your Mother and you had downloaded - earlier, it had gone AWOL in cyberspace :)

    I'm so pleased I did - what a beautiful Mom you were blessed with and what a gorgeous little baby girl you were!!!! Thank you again for sharing these wonderful pictures, Diane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane, you forgot to say that both of your daughters and your mother are naturally beautiful. Their faces glow with the reflection that wholesome lives, work, courage, and caring for others, has given them. They are all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A loving tribute to your Mum and your lovely daughters..who are lovely and bright and kind due to YOU and your mother and your husband..So, we all thank the women who came before us and we honor the women we have in our lives and we charish the little women who will carry on for us when we join our own mothers :-) Happy Happy day and year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Same to you ! The woman I admire the most is my friend Chantal. Handicapped at the age of 3 with polio, she raised two sons with no help from her monster of husband, now since 7 years he is brain damaged lays like a vegetable in bed and she takes care of him ! She has had spent most of her childhood in hospital because of her polio and had countless surgeries. She never complains is adorable and you can really count on her. She also is a wonderful travel companion.
    I think I wrote a post about her. If somebody earns a medal it's certainly her !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gattina: Chantel is certainly an inspiring woman.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful women to admire!
    I'm glad you looked closer to home.
    Hope you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Mother sounds such an amazing woman - how lovely that you appreciatedd and admired her - and your two happy daughters are just so beautiful - all wonderful women. Thank you for this lovely post.
    "Adelaide and Beyond"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your macro photos lovely and so is your post on Women Day...Lovely photo of you and your mum :) your girls too..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful picture of you and your mother!
    My mother had similar hair...
    Thanks for your visit & comment on my blog - more Sydney pics coming weekly. (I shot almost 2000 pics!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hooray for all of us and I join you in gratitude to those who came before us and paved the way (I'm a day late and a dollar short as usual ;>))

    I loved the post and learning a bit of your family history and your wonderful mother. You have reason to be proud of her and of your daughters and I'm sure they are equally as proud of their mother. As well they should be!

    I am inspired by our daughter too -- and am always amazed at how much we learn from our grown children (and, now, grown grandchildren!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awwww that is one of the sweetest posts I've read today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Diane, great post and tribute to the women in your life. Your daughters looked very happy in the last photo. You should be very proud of the both of them and your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A lovely post and a fine tribute to women everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful post and tribute ti three beautiful women in you life, Diane! I don't know why International Woman's day is not a nationally celebrated holiday here --it should be!

    ReplyDelete