Brisbane, QLD


Sunday, September 23, 2012

SURPRISE CAR SHOW

Summer has arrived in Brisbane. Today we went to explore a Farmers Market that we haven't been to before. It is held in the nearby town of Beenleigh. When we arrived we saw hundreds of people flocking into the show grounds. We had to park a long way off but a good walk for TOH*.
When we arrived at the grounds we saw a sign saying "No Market Today." Instead it was a car show. Secretly I think TOH was quite pleased.

I took lots of photos of cars but then I noticed that some of the people were more interesting. I liked this matching dress and car.


 I was amused at the high heeled shoes tripping through the grass, which is almost dead due to the lack of rain over the last 3 months.

The lady on the right had leopard skin dress and shoes she also had a glittering handbag on the other arm. I just couldn't capture it as she ran off to greet someone.
These two were happy to pose for me 

Yum

 No comment.

 This guy was leaving  but happy to give me a wave. I wouldn't mind being beside him.

TOH found a Fairlane the same as he had as a young man in Switzerland. It was too big to angle park in his street. The police told him to move it.

I found a Morris minor for sale. It is the same as our first, second car. We scraped together enough dollars for a car for me to go shopping after we had our first baby, who used to be put on the back seat in a basket.  No child restraints in those days.
(*TOH The Other Half )

24 comments:

  1. What a contrast between those huge great fords and the little morris. It's almost like a day at the races with the fashion, as well. You must have had a lovely day, especially TOH who was only expecting a market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like such events. Just great.

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the people are more interesting than the cars. Nice show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to take a spin in that Corvette Stingray .... very classy car ... Very classy driver!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you SURE that TOH didn't know it was going to be a car show? It's just a little unusual for a bloke to be so willing to attend a market!!! In my experience, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Queenslanders dress up for motor shows. High heels, no less. I told my father that when I was old enough, I would buy a Fairlane like that. I never did, but they were a fine car.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is fun to see cars like we owned ... makes me realise how far cars have moved as well as laws like those about child restraints.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love car shows! So much to oooohhh and aaaaahhh over as you walk through and remember who "had one just like that!" You also did a great job capturing the eclectic group that enjoyed the day! LOVE the spiky-haired-guy! Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that must have been a surprise to see the cars there - they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was fun!!! Hown nice that the end of the "exercise" was rewarded and I am sure TOH was thrilled. Love the people shots and I'd no comment on that one too - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's funny, we also had an Old Timer show here in Waterloo today, but it was too cold for me, so I didn't go.
    People look the same everywhere even the beautiful punk, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A feast of fashion here - people and cars. You couldn't get much different than the Fairlane v the Morris Minor. And yes, that black one would suit me nicely too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you both had a great day. The Tattooed duo was scary enough, but that punk! I wonder how they sleep - I walked into one of these "persons" and the darn thing was almost like a piece of strong wire! Darn near an "ouch"!
    Yep, we sure need rain now, 55 days now without a drop! Shades of "55 Days in Peking" - the Boxer uprising!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sure TOH was happy to see the car show. Looks like a fun event and a great place to people watch! Great photos, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful photos, Diane! Loving the vivid colours of those cars! Looks like a really enjoyable time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well -- this was fun.. something you probably wouldn't have planned to go to but that's what life's about, making the most of serendipity! (Even if you had to stop at the supermarket for your veggies on the way home ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great day! Love your people shots too - always beaut fun isn't it. Lots of shiny colourful cars too.
    I have a similar recollection as you Diane re the Morris Minor. My hubby fixed one up for me to use with first baby. We lived on top of a hill, so it was luxury to drive up it instead of walking. We had a large pram which we could take apart, and the carriage - with bub - fitted nicely in the car. Yep, no seat belts etc way back then :D)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bet this show gave you the better blog fodder than a market would have!
    High heels and dresses - no wonder the men like going. :)
    I thought the tattoed couple were quite cute. The guy with the big ole earring was a little much. I wonder how much his hair products a week cost.
    Nifty shots Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We just had our annual car show in my little town, too. It looked remarkably the same as yours! (except, of course, we are entering into autumn...)

    ReplyDelete
  20. We just had our annual car show in my little town, too. It looked remarkably the same as yours! (except, of course, we are entering into autumn...)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely surprise, I love classic car shows and enjoyed your people shots as well as the old cars. My TOH says hello :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, wow! A surprise car show certainly would feel like a surprise birthday present for me. =D I like the yellow vintage car in the first photo, but who wouldn’t love to ride beside that guy in his Stingray? That car looks absolutely dashing!

    Tyra Shortino

    ReplyDelete