Brisbane, QLD


Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Down by the riverside........

On the weekend we went for a walk, "down by the riverside." It is the Brisbane River, which runs through the heart of the city and many surrounding suburbs. We drove to the suburb of New Farm and strolled along the river edge. It used to be a farming area in the early days of settlement.

A beautiful winter's day.

I became fascinated with the different types of housing along the river.

The extravagant.

The old and the new.

An old Queenslander (usually built up off the ground and with large verandas for coolness) This one has the verandas built in.

New yuppie apartments.

This lovely old house is surrounded by tall apartment blocks. It used to house the Navy Chief.

Mansion

Traditional

We got closer to city but decided to turn around return along the picturesque riverside

Through New Farm Park to the Powerhouse Theatre, where our car was parked

This used to be a power station for the city tramway but inside it has been converted into a modern theatre where they perform avant garde stuff. The outside has been cleaned but kept pretty much as it used to be except for the modern glass foyer. It is an interesting building.

5 comments:

  1. I have never been in that area, interesting. Thank you for the sharing. The world wide Flickr walk in Brisbane I understand will be along the river side, beginning at the Botanic Gardens Saturday morning.

    lizzie b.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane, a beautiful series of photographs and so interesting!!! Just loved my tour in that lovely city. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me Granny's link. I have checked her blog out and enjoyed it very much. I hope you got my note with my thank you for the Raclette post :) Just in case you didn't, another big thank you from me. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane, an interesting walk along the river. I do not see this site often. Thanks for your nice tour guide. I like the subtropical ambiance of Brisbane. Luckily there are still a few of the old Queenslanders around. I think it is such a pretty house style and well suited to this climate without the use of the environmentally unfriendly air conditioners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely walk you shared with us "down by the riverside" Amazing houses and I LOVE the power station/theatre. Very interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Brisbane River, especially from the River Cat, although walking gives more time to study the houses and take good photos...which you did.

    ReplyDelete