Brisbane, QLD


Sunday, April 3, 2016

A ROLLICKING ROAD AROUND OTAGO PENINSULA, NZ

When we left Larnach Castle we drove along the high ridges in the centre of the peninsula into the town of Dunedin. The views of the ocean on one side and the harbour on the other were spectacular.

Dunedin
The Dunedin Railway station is a beautiful building and hard to get it all into the camera frame.

 Just squeezed it all in. It was designed by George Troup in the Renaissance Revival Architecture.

It is beautiful inside too. It was completed in 1906 and the floor has 750,000 Minton Tiles.

In the afternoon we drove around the edge of the peninsular to the heads at Harington Point. The road was not for the faint hearted. It runs around bend after bend at water level without any safety barriers. It is two ways and there are very few places wide enough to overtake or turn around. Bill said, "Take a photo." I said, "I can't I'm hanging on with white knuckles." But somehow I managed. The scenery was lovely though.

At the tip of the peninsula there is 'The Royal Albatross Centre". Where you can pay lots and wait lots for a guided tour. However, we opted to walk on the public board walks and observation decks for free. This is the only place in the world that Albatross roost on a mainland. We were lucky to see quite a lot coming into land on top of the cliff above.

They were hard to capture as they were up very high. I used zoom and cropping to see them up close. They are very graceful with their huge wing span. There were many sea gulls as well. Sometimes you can see penguins and seals but we didn't.

The view looking back down the harbour was pretty.

But the rolliking road trip back was a bit scary.

23 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous photos The albatrosses are huge aren't they Long time ago we went their although we went up to Larnach castle just last year. Beautiful area of dunedin I love the train station as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. All very beautiful and what a pleasant looking day. At least going back you were on the cliff side. It does not look like a good road for a foggy day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Gorgeous photos! Loving your posts from your trip Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the hills and flowers and sky and water, all in one photo. so very beautiful. i am betting someone had knee problems by the time those tiles were laid. i really like the lady on the bench photo... and that road is really, really really scary.. driving on that the driver has to be totally focused.. how about if it was foggy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a train station and one that Grenville would so enjoy visiting! It is really a beautiful building and so are all the scenic views, Diane. Intoo would have been nervous driving on that road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan of rollicking road trips Diane :) Really lovely images, especially love the lighthouse on top of the cliff, what a beauty of a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always heard what a beautiful country New Zealand is. Your photos are fantastic and I wanted to thank you for sharing them with us because I know that I will never get to see these sights in person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted to see NZ and your photos have only made me want to see it more. Sadly it will never be with the long flight and N's Foot problems. Thanks for the virtual trip. Take care t'other Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful Mum! The albatross!! I want to go there too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful photos of your NZ adventure. I hope to visit there one day too. I was looking for the non-existent guard rails on the curvy roads.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's so picturesque and makes me want to go there. gorgeous photos as usual. thank you for sharing Diane. i hope all is well with you

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do like the Railway Station building, it looks well kept too.
    Windy roads without barriers, we are used to having them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The scenery is definitely spectacular. Thanks for taking us along with you. The railway station is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, Diane! I love the gorgeous views of the coastline. It is cool seeing the Albatross too, great captures. The drive looks beautiful along the water, fantastic scenery! Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Better you than me on that drive! Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures. Several look like they could be printed and framed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had nothing but rain in Dunedin so your photos are showing me some of the beautiful scenery I missed. I liked the railway station very much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the railway station looks wonderfully

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a train station? Jeez, I live in a plain part of the world! It looks like a castle to this small town person. But the road doesn't look any scarier than many on the west coast or mountain states US. We do have those, even if we don't have so much fancy architecture ;))! Another great adventure for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What pretty views! I'm not sure that's a safe road to bike on though! When I was in NZ, I found a dead albatross washed up on the beach after a bad storm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That rail station looks like a church! Gorgeous scenery for sure and I get athe fear of those roads and I am worse if I am the passenger.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow---what an awesome place... I stopped and just gazed at that railway station. How gorgeous is that!!!! AND --the scenery is so beautiful... It's no wonder that my brother loved New Zealand so much... (We wouldn't even bat an eye at that road since we drive on MANY like that when we were out in the mountains searching for waterfalls... ha)

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Spectacular scenery along your journey Diane - and well captured! No doubt about it - New Zealand is a gorgeous country/islands to visit. Thank you for sharing part of your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That railway station is just spectacular. And what beautiful scenery. I can't believe you got to see a real albatross!

    ReplyDelete