Brisbane, QLD


Sunday, March 26, 2023

AN UNWELCOME VISITOR

 As most of you know our village is surrounded by forest.

I took this shot from a plane when returning from Melbourne some time ago and it gives you an idea of where our village is situated. We enjoy living here because we can go for forest walks and it is quiet being at the end of the road. We also enjoy wildlife that visits the village. We have lots of birds, and we have wallabies, echidnas, possums, bandicoots, and lizards. The visitors we are not fond of are the snakes.

Mostly they are carpet pythons, which are not venomous but we do have venomous ones too like the Red Bellied Black and the Eastern Brown as well as others. So I am wary of any snake until I know what it is.

A few mornings ago we were eating breakfast and looking out our window to the gardens opposite when I heard water running. 


I went outside to check what it was. It came from my neighbours garden and I went to her door and asked what it was. She had turned on the underground watering system in our adjoining gardens and the pump has become noisy. While I was there I looked across to our unit and saw a snake hanging a coil off our roof. It looked black so I was wary. The gardener was in the street and he came to check it out. He wasn't sure either because it was up so high. and against the bright morning light.

Damien the gardener got his pool net and encouraged the snake to get in and he pulled it from the roof.

Bill gets close to take photos I take them from the balcony just in case it falls and just in case its poisonous. Passers by stopped to watch.
Damien very patiently waited for it to crawl onto the net.


Its okay. It is only a baby python.

The morning's entertainment over we went back to breakfast. The gardner put it into the garden opposite our unit. So I hope it doesn't come back.

19 comments:

  1. Damien the gardener was very brave, or a risk taker. There is NO way I would wait for the (unknown type of) snake to crawl into the net.
    Birds. Wallabies, echidnas, possums, bandicoots and birds yes! Snakes of any type, no!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly do live in the middle of the bush, how wonderful. Good to see from the air.
    Certainly was an eventful morning, and lucky it wasn't a poisonous snake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventure in a retirement home ! A snake ! All we get here are foxes, squirrels, and magpies and cats of course ! Watching the squirrels is quite amusing. I always remember when you wrote about "big butt" who ate your salad in your garden ! That's missing here a kangaroo hopping around !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brave man, I would keep my distance from the snakes. Does this baby python grow into a giant python? I am glad it was caught and released into the wild. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy day and great new week. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you sure do live in the bush. I'm am not the least bit keen on snakes either. I don't even know if carpet snakes live in these parts. I am told they are mostly brown snakes so I will be giving them a very wide berth. I haven't seen any yet. We had black snakes when we lived in the mountains but they are quite shy and take off as soon as they hear you so I did not worry too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And tourists think of spiders and drop bears as our most terrifying creatures. I don't go near crocodiles and even though I am country bred, I am terrified of snakes. Spiders, ho hum. Well done Damien.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God bless that gardner, I could not sleep with it dangling from our roof. I had to laugh at the photo of all the mens legs, I see there were no WOMEN gathered in that photo to see what the snake was. I would have been inside, since I would never stand on a balcony. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a bit of a diversion before breakfast, Diane, and I wondered about your comment that “it was only a baby python” and was released into the garden area. Does this mean you have adult ones in the garden area as well?

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Only a baby python", you say. It could bring a whole town to a standstill if it were in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snakes of Any sort...NoooWay...lolol
    Damien is a brave soul!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm afraid I'd find it hard to live where there are many snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like snakes but we have them here in Florida too. How interesting to find one on the roof. Glad it was captured and identified! WHEW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was an eventful morning!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. The morning was quite eventful, and it ended on a positive note. Although encountering snakes during my birding trips isn't something I enjoy, it does happen from time to time. Nonetheless, I find myself appreciating their unique patterns and features. By the way, I must say that the baby python you came across looks quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find snakes fascinating but would be extremely wary living close to poisonous snakes. I would never think of looking on the roof for a snake.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Exciting wildlife morning Diane! I am with you though - I wouldn't want to get too close! At high altitude where I live there are no reptiles. I'm good with that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YIKES !!
    I don't like snakes be they poisonous or not. I know some are good but no thanks. Glad the gardener was there to take care of things.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. We have a poisonous one here called a copper head and is very agressive. Pythons here are considered invasive species and destroying our bird life. You are brave folks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that casual "only...". yeeps. We have invasive Burmese Pythons in the Everglades and they get HUGE! And eating all the wildlife. They keep trying to get rid of them. Fortunately not in our backyard (yet anyway).

    ReplyDelete