Brisbane, QLD


Saturday, August 27, 2022

GOING TO GOMA

Every second Friday I attend the village Art Group. Last Friday we didn’t dabble in paint but went on an excursion to GOMA  (Galley of Modern Art) to see the exhibition by Chiharu Shiota called ‘The Soul Trembles’. ‘The Soul Trembles’ highlights twenty-five years of Chiharu Shiota’s artistic practice. She’s renowned internationally for her transformative, large-scale installations constructed from millions of fine threads that cluster in space or form complex webs that spill from wall to floor to ceiling. Shiota’s beautiful and disquieting works express the intangible: memories, dreams, anxiety and silence.(Taken from GOMA’s web page.)

I think the key word here is disquieting. In my opinion some of her work was beautiful and complex in construction but some of her work was a bit weird and off putting. One of our members, Louise, organised the trip. She booked us in for a guided tour and lunch. We carpooled to Springwood bus station and caught the bus to the gallery. We had a great day even though it was sometimes like herding cats to find everyone for lunch and catching the bus home. 

'Uncertain Journey.' There are some black wire boats with red wool woven up to the ceiling.

'A Question of Perspective.' Hundreds of A4 sheets suspended amongst a forest of dangling black ropes. A desk and chair.


'Accumulation: Searching for the Destination.' A collection of old suitcases suspended on red ropes. Some of the cases had a motor inside which made the cases move up and down and side to side.

'In Silence' burnt piano and chair covered in black thread woven all over the room . It represents a fire the artist experienced.(photo from GOMA web site)


Oops didn't get the name of this one but it is a collection of window frames. She was inspired by the architecture in East Germany.


This was one of my favourites lots of boats suspended from the ceiling going on a journey with black threads hanging from the ceiling. Ooops didn't get the title.


An interesting window in the gallery.

There was so much to see, too much to include here. Then we walked outside to the cafe and had lunch with a view of the river and our beautiful city. It is winter but the day time temps are quite warm.

13 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing all the art pieces. I think the artist is very talented. Normally I do not like too many art installations. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw the first two works here not so long ago. She is an interesting artist, albeit challenging at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really to my taste but........ When I saw Goma I thought you were visiting one of our favourite places (in 1953) a small town in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Think since we were ther it has changed a lot and not for the better! Keep well, t'other Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Diane,
    Looks like a fun outing with your group. The exhibit is interesting, I like the piece with the window frames and the one with the boats. The last photo with the river view is lovely. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE each and every one and my most favorite is the burned piano. she is truly gifted. I would very much enjoy a visit to this art gallery. thanks for sharing these. that window is really something and so is the hundreds of frames .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not what I was expecting you to be sharing. They are all such large installations. I'm reminded of one I saw which featured ribbons attached to one shoe, its pair missing, and shoes scattered all over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would have been something for me ! My painting teacher has told us to never give a name on modern art pictures and just let the people's imagination work ! At least this artist was not lacking of phantasy !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very different yet rather nice Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed seeing this exhibit. Besides imagination, it must take a lot of physical effort to put together an exhibit like that. I love the unusual, and the peek into someone else’s mind one like this gives me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A different type of exhibition, I enjoyed seeing your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

  11. This looks like an exhibition I would enjoy even though I am no fan of contemporary art.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love her work. I saw an installation in 2018 at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, beautifully ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are fortunate to have such a great gallery near you. Her work is certainly thought-provoking. I don't have a chance to see much (or really any) contemporary art in either of the places where we live so I don't have much knowledge or experience to compare. I wish I knew more.

    ReplyDelete