Brisbane, QLD


Monday, February 3, 2020

WHAT A WEEKEND!!!

We were invited to our daughter's father in law's 80th birthday celebrations being held at the Esplanade Apartments in Burleigh Heads. Carol and her in laws were all staying in the penthouse for a few days so we decided to stay for the weekend too. Lucky they had a vacancy for us on the 4th floor.
 The view was lovely and the weather was hot.

We have stayed here a few times because we like the spacious units all facing the ocean. Each one is decorated differently according to the owner's taste. This one was a bit ordinary but still comfortable.

 At lunch time we went up to the penthouse on the 25th floor to join the 80th birthday celebrations.

 The views south and north are stunning.

Bill and Alma are Carol's in-laws. Happy birthday Bill. My Bill is in the background.

All the relatives except little Billie the only grandchild. He didn't want to be in the photo. Carol and David on the left at the back. David has two sisters and a brother the rest are partners and parents. Bill enjoyed his birthday with all his family.

 That evening Carol and I walked along the beach. One of my favourite activities.

For tea the boys made scotch eggs.

 Jon and Gene brother in laws feeding the masses.

 They were delicious. Gene is famous within the family for making these.

 Early next morning I went for a walk trying to beat the heat of the day.

 Carol and David did their morning RUN and then cooled off in the pool. I dangled my legs in.

Meanwhile my man prefers this activity. Later we went for lunch at a local hotel and returned to snooze and play games.

 On the last morning , I walked towards the headland. It was lovely splashing through the water.

 I liked the way the towers of Surfer's Paradise were peeping around the corner.

It was time to turn back and get ready to return home to Brisbane.
I took all these photos with my iPhone.

21 comments:

  1. It looks like a lovely weekend with family and beautiful surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, looks like fun weekend birthday celebration. Beautiful views and a great family gathering. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. spectacular is the word that comes to mind, and that covers the beaches FIRST because I love them and the rooms you stayed in, the views from those rooms, the gorgeous pool and the food and family.... perfect birthday from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thank you for sharing these pictures! It looks so warm and beautiful!!! I love any beach any where! HAPPY BIRTHDAY BILL! Your family is truly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you all had a great time with the birthday boy. A beautiful spot. I have not made scotch eggs in years thanks for the reminder that I love them. Have a great week, t'other Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful and magical time you had.
    Beautiful scenery and it was wonderful that the family could all be together. Precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The furniture in the apartment does look a bit ordinary, still, Bill found the couch comfortable enough. The scotch eggs look unconventional but rather good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely get-a-way! Your photos are lovely and I bet it was nice to be able to splash in the waters with all that heat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photos are good for an iPhone :) just kidding, they are good.
    Your Bill looks relaxed there on the couch.
    Lovely long beach along there, picturesque.
    Happy Birthday to the other Bill and he doesn't look like he's 80!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful views from up the top Diane. I guess even if it was hot you at least could look down on that lovely seascape. Scotch eggs are my favs … yum !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a weekend! You packed a lot into your weekend and it all looked great. Lovely views from your apartment and from your walks on the beach which is what I like to do too. I will try and keep the name of the apartment for future reference as we plan to get away later this year. Thanks for sharing your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely place for a celebration! I make scotch eggs for Hubby, too. I never heard of them until I moved to New Zealand! Great scenes and lots of great smiles :)


    Feel free to share at My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a superb location for a celebration! I'm very jealous.
    I'm off to the coast tomorrow but I suspect it'll be a bit cooler on the shores of the North Sea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a spectacular place for a celebration and for a weekend. Your iPhone gets some marvelous pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning views from the penthouse Diane.. gosh I can't remember the last time I had a Scotch egg, want one now though 😉

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's always interesting to see what, to me, is the oddest of things: all those high rises right on the coast in a land with unlimited space.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like the perfect way to celebrate a birthday to me. A celebration everyone can enjoy. I really love that third to last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful place, and that first beach picture (shades of brown) is spectacular.
    Sounds like you all had a fun time.
    I've never tried scotch eggs before, but the look intriguing. Will look up the recipe on Google.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The coast (in Oregon) has always been my favorite place for a weekend getaway and we’ve camped in various rigs, stayed in motels, hotels, rental cottages, and condo units ... but never one as luxuriously scenic as this one! Beautiful. What a nice way to celebrate . And, BTW, these days our favorite activities at the beach would duplicate yours and your Bill’s. Mine no longer enjoys walking on sand.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely 80th birthday celebration for Carol’s father in law and even more wonderful that and Bill could attend and join in the festivities and great views too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fun mini-vacation (from retirement...)! The beach looks uncrowded and inviting. The birthday boy had a nice celebration. I'm starting to miss the beach as I look at your photos.

    ReplyDelete