Brisbane, QLD


Sunday, April 21, 2019

MY DAD

It is 36 years today, 21st April, since I lost my Dad. Recently, I have been scanning old photos as I renovate old albums. I came across photos of my dad and remembered what a great Dad he was.

On the MS Georgic ship on the way to Australia 
Back in 1949 when he was 35, he was brave enough to gather up his family and emigrate from war torn England with stringent rationing and come to Australia an unknown land with no family or friends.
While we lived in a tent and then a garage, he built our house with his own hands.

After seven years of working hard and building the house on weekends, he together with my mum, saved enough money for a car and a caravan holiday from Sydney to Brisbane.

When the house was finished he attended night school and upgraded his education qualifications. He and I were studying for the 'Leaving Certificate' at the same time.

He took us on holidays every year and we had fun together.

When I floundered in my teenage years he spent time talking to me and supporting me through my troubles.

He helped me find jobs and encouraged me to go to PNG and start a new life and an exciting career. This photo was how I remember him when I left home in 1963.
Seven years later when I returned to Oz married, he continued to support my family. He became sick at the same time that he retired and after 2 years of pain and suffering with bone cancer he passed away on 21st April, 1983. He's always in my memories.


29 comments:

  1. these are wonderful memories, and my dad was born the year before yours, but I had him until 2006. Sorry you lost your dad at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely memories, well done for digitising all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Back in 1949 when he was 35, he was brave enough to gather up his family and emigrate from war torn England with stringent rationing and come to Australia an unknown land with no family or friends."

    So brave!

    Wonderful memories to hold onto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful tribute to your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must confess i had not looked at todays date and remembered dad. It is David’s birthday tomorrow and my thoughts have all been with him. He would have been 82 and i still miss him so much. Dad was very kind to me and i loved talking to him about all manner of things. There is only you and me left of our grnerstion now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girls and their love for their father. I just want to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is surprising how often I think of my parents, even after 25 years. I am glad you have happy memories too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What rich memories you have. You are lucky to have such a good role model.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful tribute to your Dad. I think anyone who emigrates has to be brave to come to an unknown country, sometimes with an unknown language, no family or friends for support, but it's so much easier to do it nowadays with all the information at our disposal, than it was when your parents came to Australia.
    Happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely to look at all those old photos and to remember the great things about your Dad. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely post, thank you for sharing your photographs and wonderful memories.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, Len Speakman was a great man. The house he built in Loftus was well constructed, as I found out when I installed an air conditioner through ironbark timber in their living room in the 70s. It was like drilling through steel. He is still missed by all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, what a great post on your Dad. The photos are wonderful. Enjoy your day, have a great new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful tribute to your Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful memories of a kind and brave man. My dad also built our house, nights and weekends, with his own hands, while also working two jobs. I can’t believe he died so soon after retirement and never got to enjoy those years of freedom. So unfair!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great memories and you are lucky to have so many photos. Twenty five years since my Dad left us very suddenly. I am glad that he did not suffer though it was a shock. Have a good week, t'other Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. It seems so unfair not to have time to enjoy your retirement. My Dad also died two years after retiring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your father sounds like a wonderful man my dad passed away on the 21st April 2019

    ReplyDelete
  19. What wonderful memories you have of your Dad. Unfortunately that was not my case.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a heartfelt tribute to your Dad - his support made you the independent woman you became. All children should be so lucky. I love the old photos.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad that your memories are so positive.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful memories So clever your dad was My husbands dad emigrated to NZ and also build his own home. Great to hear that your dad was so supportive

    ReplyDelete
  23. I so admire men like your Dad.
    What a strong man with so much persistence to raise a fine family.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A wonderful tribute to your Dad Diane, and the photos were endearing. Thank you for sharing him with us. We never forget them do we?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Echoing the comment made by others, Diane, in saying this post was a lovely tribute to your father. The photo of you and he studying together was secial to see. I can't imagine someone building a house single-handed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds so familiar to my story Diane. Leaving Scotland after the war and out to Rhodesia. I have always been thankful he was an adventurer, we saw so much more of the world because of it. I love seeing your black and white photos 💙

    ReplyDelete