Brisbane, QLD


Thursday, November 6, 2014

"WILL HE STILL LOVE ME WHEN........"

Will he still love me when I get back from leave? (Let alone when I'm 64). That was the question I had in my head as 1968 was coming to an end. 

At the time I was living and working in Papua/New Guinea. I had been there four years and enjoying myself except when the love of my life left me early in 1968 and I was heartbroken but by November I had a new boyfriend but I tried to keep my emotions under control, I didn't want to get hurt again. However, Bill was very nice and attentive and appeared to be in love with me but it was that time of the year for me to go on leave to Australia for two months. Would he find someone else while I'm away? In the last weeks of November we continued to enjoy each other's company.

 On the weekends we had breakfast at a restaurant in town.

We drove up to Burns Peak and looked over Port Moresby and suburbs. A new oval was being constructed for the Pan Pacific Games.

We turned around and looked inland towards the Owen Stanley Mountains. 

We walked around  Fairfax Harbour and watched the sailors and boaties having fun. But it was time to say goodbye. Bill drove me to the airport and he seemed genuinely sad to see me go. (I heard later that he went to the hotel with his friends and drowned his sorrows. He awoke the next morning to find his car being swept away in flood waters)

It was great to see my parents again. Each leave they looked older of course but you forget that when you are away. We were invited to my friend, Kerrie's parents house at Urunga Beach for a few days holiday. Its an all day drive from Sydney so mum packed a pinic for on the way.

We spent the days swimming, fishing and hiking with Kerrie's family, her two sisters and kids.

Dad and I have a chat about my life in PNG. Bill had been writing to me every week and he seemed to be counting the days until I would return. Seems like I might be lucky this time. I was looking forward to returning once more and wondered what was in store for me in 1969. 

28 comments:

  1. Of course you were lucky. Bill is a good bloke.
    Cheers
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  2. But ... she did not know that at the time, Colin!!

    You must own a lot of shoes, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might need to come back to this, to find out what happened. Though, scanning through, I'm thing (and hoping) it all ended happily ever after!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am smiling! But goodness, Bill's car floating away? That must have added to the shock of you leaving. Love the photos. There's just something about those old black and white pics that I think is so striking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course Bill was going to wait for you! I can not imagine, seeing his car floating away. I just love these old photos.. Thanks for sharing, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a gap in your life that you could not punctuate with photos? How marvellous that you have such a good store of photos to match your memories. I guess the tall modern building is government offices? I note the TAA sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, the big white building was (maybe still is) the T&G Building. Insurance and Financial companies, not government. On the ground floor was one of only a few restaurants in Port Moreby, called 'The Purple Parrot' of which you'll read more in future posts, I'm sure.

      Delete
    2. Bill, I have already heard of The Purple Parrot, but I can't remember when or the context. The building is rather different to the older art deco T&G buildings in Victoria.

      Delete
  7. A suspense journey in your life at that time for you. Great photos...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are building the tension, how will this end?......:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I LOVE the shot of you and your Dad there is nothing more special than listening to Dad and his wisdom.:) HUG B

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh no on the car being swept away. gorgeous views..

    ReplyDelete
  11. More wonderful photos. Some of these surely show these places in their infancy. I bet that land doesn't look so barren today.
    It seems you both weren't have much luck with cars at the time.
    I know how the story ends but you make it suspenseful to wait for the next chapter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i like how you're making us 'wait and see...' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I blog using this song when I first blogged. 64 is rather young. Yesterday, an 80 year old married a 77 year old woman.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why do I get the impression that those two months were the longest two months you ever experienced?

    ReplyDelete
  15. HA ---- I remember when George and I first fell in love, I had to leave and go to a wedding in Texas... That was the LONGEST 4-5 days I can ever remember. I wanted to get back to him ASAP....And--on my flight back to Nashville, the plane was late and when I finally got to the airport, I couldn't find George. Once I did ---I almost knocked him down jumping into his arms!!!!!! ha

    Sounds like that Bill waited for you --and didn't give up on you... Can't wait to read more!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad Bill did wait for you! Young love is so romantic but "old love" is the don't you think? By now my husband and I know what each other is thinking :) Poor Bill losing his car in a flood! That was not a good time for him!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poor old Bill! Girlfriend swept away by an aeroplane, car swept away by floodwater and probably a hangover into the bargain!
    You capture the hopes and anxieties of young life perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The excitement is palpable. You were obviously a dab hand with that camera - I was hopeless with film.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Always hard to eave someone behind that you love not knowing if they are going to be there when you return. Great photos again, and so lucky to have the photographic history. Have a good weekend. T'other Diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am super curious to know how this story ends :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah it is a terrible thought when we think will he still love me................but when they love you they love you for ever................hopefully

    ReplyDelete
  22. You left us hanging. But I am quite sure I know this story has a happy ending! Can't wait to read it anyway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh what a great story I think he will hang around will he, and his car flooded away? That's quite an experience. Nice you had a great time back then with your family

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sometimes it's hard when you can't be in two places at once!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The beginning of this romance sounds promising! I can't wait to see how things turn out! I love that you have so many black & white photos of the places you lived and visited and the people in your life. We have so few! I don't know why we didn't take more pictures! That makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree with Andrew & Marie - you're SO lucky to have all those photos! There are vast tracts of my earlier life where photos are few & far between. But I'm making up for it now :D

    ReplyDelete