Switzerland is 735 years old (Traditional Founding – 1291): Switzerland traces its origins back to the beginning of August 1291, when the three cantons of Uri, Schwyz, and Unterwalden signed the Federal Charter (Bundesbrief) to pledge mutual defence. This alliance forms the basis for Swiss National Day (celebrated annually on August 1st).
Our daughter, Sonya, invited us to celebrate Swiss National Day at her home. So we dressed in Swiss jackets and shirts and with a bottle of Kirsch we set off for the northern suburbs of Brisbane.
Our SIL, Bernie cooked us a traditional Swiss Cheese Fondu, where you dip a piece of bread on a long fork into melted cheese and then pop it in your mouth.Bernie likes to add other foods to dip, like roasted potato and blanched broccoli. He also provided chunks of apple and pear,
Grandson Fox joined us but Banjo had been invited to a friends house. He was a little disappointed to be missing out on Fondu.
Did you raise a glass of kirsch on the special day?
ReplyDeleteLovely photos Diane. You all are looking great.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a fun day with the family, great photos.
ReplyDeleteTake care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.
That"s the traditional plate when our DIL comes, she is vegetarian and we love the fondue too ! Dario likes it with Broccolis ! I ate it looooong time ago in my 20th when we were invited by a Belgian friend. Now it's often eaten at Christmas when there are vegetarians. We at it during the whole year, because we loved it. I still do ! Toby has the same haircut as Fox !! It's the last fashion cut for Teenagers !
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful Fondu set. And a lovely family to go with it. A fun day!
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
I giggled a little when I read he missed the fondue, not the meeting of grandparents. Sound wonderful, family and all that wonderful food. I would love to try all of the choices
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice celebration with family and good food!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a splendid celebration Diane. A belated happy Swiss National Day! I will always remember the date and what it's for now thanks to you. Super photos of you and Bill with your family.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to now have your daughter close for these celebrations. A very special day.
ReplyDeleteBased on how much I would love the National Dish (and do love pale imitations over here) I am Swiss at heart or at least taste buds! Lovely to have family close -- we're in Oregon now so I can again say that from experience
ReplyDeleteA lovely celebration, I enjoyed the photographs you've shared.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan