Brisbane, QLD


Sunday, June 18, 2023

THE BANKSY EXHIBITION

 A small group of us from the Village Art Group caught the bus into the city to see the Banksy Exhibition in the Queens Plaza. We contemplated using a scooter to get to the Plaza (only joking).

We actually walked through the pedestrian only streets.

It was a cool winter's day.

We easily found the exhibition in the shopping centre. Banksy is a pseudonym for the English based artist, political activist and film director. His satirical street art and subversive epigrams combine dark humour with graffiti using a distinctive stencilling technique. His work has appeared on walls and bridges throughout the world.

The artwork "Flower Thrower" is indeed one of Banksy's most iconic and widely recognized pieces, representing the convergence of two themes dear to the artist: street fighting and peace. Created in 2005 on the West Bank Wall in Jerusalem, it depicts an activist throwing a bouquet of flowers as a Molotov cocktail in an unexpected and pacifist manner. The juxtaposition of a symbol of peace, like flowers, being used as a weapon against rioters, challenges traditional notions of conflict and resistance.

"Kids On Guns" portrays the familiar imagery of Banksy's iconic balloon girl, but with a somber twist. The silhouettes of a young boy and girl are depicted on top of a mountain of weapons, holding their toys in their hands. The girl's heart-shaped red balloon stands out against the severe color contrasts, adding a touch of beauty to the composition.
Banksy's use of children as symbols of innocence is a recurring theme in his artwork, providing a hopeful element within his otherwise ironic and satirical body of work.



I also hope for a better world for my our grandchildren. There were many many pieces of work but I don't want to bore you. Banksy is not happy about having exhibitions of his work, it should be seen in the environment. He doesn't sell his work any more either but some had been sold and he gave the money to those in need.


20 comments:

  1. The ' flower thrower' is an amazing picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is much admired. Local council workers cleaned one of his works off a laneway wall in Melbourne. Another is protected by a perspex covering. I hope the exhibition visits here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen photos of the heart and child, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like his work and have been fortunate to see a few of his pieces in situ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great! My favorite Banksy is the little girl with the balloon. I didn’t know he was a film director.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Banksy's work. So glad you could get to see some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know this artist, but I suppose you had fun to make a little excursion ! I first thought you would really drive on the scooter and admired you for your fitness ! I don't dare, I would loose my balance. You are in winter and we have a heat wave ! Today it's cooler and it rains a bit, very much welcomed, it hasn't rained for a month !

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great exhibit! I loved all the art work, the flower thrower and balloon girl are awesome. I too want a better world for my grandchildren. Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the flower thrower, and the girl with baloon i really love. and of course YOU with the balloon is my favorite. I would love to see the exhibit or any of his art in the enviroment

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the last shot of Diane and the balloon 😊. There are several Banksy pics so far as I know around Angouleme. There are many wall paintings around there, and I am never sure which is which. If I had time I guess I could do some research Take care t'other Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had heard there was a Banksy exhibition happening in Australia this year but thought it was only going to Melbourne, now I see it is coming to Sydney too so I will keep an eye out for it. I love your girl with a balloon shot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Banksy is iconic. I have been fascinated with his work when people began to steal it by chipping away the parts of the buildings on which he painted. He always tells a compellng story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Makes me sad to look at his work,,,love the balloon photo though!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. An interesting exhibition of iconic art work. That live "girl" with the balloon is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pleased you were able to see the Banksy exhibition and share your photographs here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. How lucky you are to get to see a Banksy exhibition. Love both the Girl with Balloon shots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love banksy I saw some of his work or replicates in the Canterbury museum as well. Cool photo of you and the balloon

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also like Banksy's art, the little I have seen, which is mostly the iconic ones. I can understand WHY he prefers his work to be seen in the environment, but indoor exhibitions would be safer from any damages and allow more people to view the art. How nice to read that he donated money to those in need from some of his sold works.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lucky you, getting to see the Banksy exhibition. Love the two girls with a Balloon .

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fascinating artist. It would have been so interesting to see this in person. The most iconic image of the Flower thrower is so thought provoking.
    Thanks for sharing
    Sue

    ReplyDelete