Brisbane, QLD


Tuesday, April 19, 2022

EASTER WITHOUT FAMILY

We had a quiet Easter with village friends. It was very pleasant having a BBQ on Caren and Eddie's back patio in the warm Autumn weather.  Although our family were not with us at least they were with each other. Carol and David live in Sydney and Sonya, Bernie and the boys live in Melbourne. However, Carol and David are on the hunt for a rural property either in Victoria or Tasmania. They have had enough of city life. So they drove from Sydney to Victoria and found a place to stay in Macedon about an hour out of Melbourne. While there Sonya and the boys visited them.

The sisters were pleased to see each other again.

After playing at making a fake moustache, Banjo helped Aunty Carol make a Pizza. Sonya and the boys returned home but the next weekend was Easter. They all decided to meet at the bush shack retreat near Gordon and spend Easter together. Bernie and his brothers built the shack out of recycled materials. There is no electricity or water connected. Mobile phone reception is poor. They take their own water and use gas for cooking. They have a composting toilet. However, they love going there as it is back to nature and quite relaxing. The boys can run wild and they cannot use their iPads.

Driving into the property, I think it's about 40 acres.

There are also a few caravans on the property, which are used as bedrooms and storerooms.

It's quite comfortable inside. There are bunks and an open fireplace.

They all love mountain bike riding.
Sonya

Carol
There is a dam nearby.
David, Bernie and Banjo, Carol and Fox.

Riding in the forest.

They stopped to collect chestnuts from an abandoned orchard.

On Easter Sunday too much chocolate.

It is nearly as good as being with them having all these photos sent to us.

 The saddest thing is that Bernie's family received a notice that this property is going to be claimed by Ausnet to put pylons through. The shack and everything will be bulldozed. The family will be compensated but they wouldn't be able to find another property for that price in the same area. So the family went to Melbourne with neighbouring farmers and protested.

18 comments:

  1. Great photos of the family. Your daughters are so like you. I hope the protest was succesful. I don't understand why the land can't be returned to them once the pylons have been erected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame. I hope the protests work. It's a lovely piece of property and should remain a getaway. Tired of governments and corporations gobbling everything up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sincerely hope that they win their battle against the pylons; that looks like too much good fun to have destroyed in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent Easter alone with Rosie but visited Rick not long he was too confused. At least your daughters had fun ! that's nice that they have such a good relationship not always evident. Is that Bernie with the grey hairs ?? If he wouldn't have been with Sonia I wouldn't have recognized him. The boys have grown !! Dario and family stayed home too. I think it was the first time in my life that I was alone at Easter, but I have the feeling to have spent a nice one !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I know about the Ausnet towers. Locals want the cable put underground which would be more expensive, but there may be a good argument for underground.

    A terrific lot of photos shared. Carol looks so like you, but I guess you and she have heard that many times.

    I would have thought if Carol and David wanted to go rural then they would have chosen rural NSW, where there are some lovely areas and a little cooler than Sydney. But if Victoria is their choice, it is to our state's benefit.

    No electricity or running water? Weak phone signal and no internet? Composting toilet? Not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    Sorry you could not spend Easter with your family. Hubby and I enjoyed a quiet Easter too.
    The family looks like they had a fun time at the shack. You are blessed with a beautiful family. Great collection of photos. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so sad, I was so excited that you have this place available in your family circle. it is stunning and should not be bulldozed. they bulldozed my child hood home many years ago to build a road. my parents had to move in their old age, and she was dying from her disease, it was horrible for them. i love the photos and those woods are calling to me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness..how devastating about the property. It looks like such a wonderful place for the boys and whole family to just enjoy nature.
    Great photos to help you feel connected.
    Keep us in the loop as to the property outcome.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous retreat, I hope they listen to all the complaints. Gosh, Carol looks so like you Diane.
    When I see photos like this I realise how much I miss being the very last one in the line in our family
    Keep well and take care. T'other Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart sank when I read that your children’s hideaway is going to be taken over. That’s so sad! We were alone on Easter also but my two daughters and their families also got together. Which makes me happy, but also lonely because I am missing out on all the laughs and fun! I know you feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Easter without family is sad and hard for some myself included...............
    Great happy spirit lifting photos that I liked

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful to see the families together but I am sorry you weren't able to be together this Easter. The photos are great. Dreadful about the land being reclaimed. That goes on all the time over here too. Not right at all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That biking looks pretty challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Certainly can understand how celebrating without family can be tough, Diane. That said, it was wonderful to see that your daughters and family could all be together and without the benefit of electronics as well. While I could do without those, I would miss water and toilet facilities. That is very sad news that the property will be reclaimed and the shack demolished. As Denise noted that has happened in the U.S. under the guide of eminent domain. To me, it is not right or fair no matter what compensation is offered.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been a messy time for the past couple of years with family interstate. We were delighted to have members of our Queensland family visit us over Easter. There were too many of them for our small home (we have just sold the big mountains home) so we didn't have enough beds to go round. Each night went off to the caravan on our bush block to sleep, it was great camping out. The family will certainly miss the peace of their bush retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed seeing your family photographs, however very sad to read about the property being reclaimed and the shack demolished ...

    Take care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh no I hope the protest is at least partially successful. Dang. I know that Holidays are hard away from family. But it does the heart good (I sound like my own grandmother there) to know that they are having fun and enjoying life.

    ReplyDelete