We always try to have a family get together at Christmas but Sonya and family couldn't come to Brisbane this year because it was their turn to host the Curry family at their home in Melbourne. They had lots of guests for Christmas dinner.
We met the grandkids and the grand dog and then settled into holiday mode. The boys had received a Nintendo for Christmas. It kept them quiet while we prepared to have another Christmas dinner and present giving.
![]() |
| They are a crazy, funny family |
![]() |
| Meanwhile we had a quiet Christmas with Carol and David |
So, some months ago we planned a family get together in early January. We hired an Airbnb at Culburra Beach on the South Coast of NSW. Sonya and family would drive up from Melbourne and we would fly to Sydney and be picked up by Carol and David and driven down to the South Coast to meet Sonya and family at Culburra Beach. Little did we know that catastrophic fires would put an end to our plans.
We kept looking at the fire maps and warnings as it got closer to Jan 4 when we were to leave for the holiday house. We discussed whether we should cancel. The host of the house assured us all is good at Culburra Beach. We checked the map:
We could see that both Sonya's family from Melbourne and us from Sydney could still get to the beach. However, each day the fires were getting worse and spreading. The prediction wasn't good.
In the meantime, Carol suggested we change our flights from going to Sydney to go to Melbourne instead. She booked a house on the Mornington Peninsula, where there were no fires. Carol and David flew from Sydney and we met them at Melbourne airport, where they hired a car and drove us to Rye. Bernie and Sonya met us there. They often spend holidays at Rye and they know the area well.
The news wasn't good. People were having to escape the fires by huddling under wet towels on the beaches to avoid being burnt by embers and ash. The weather conditions were bad, windy and hot.
So we decided to cancel our 7 day booking which had been fully paid for ($6320.00). However, the host would only refund 50% less $774 service fee. She claimed the roads were still open, which was true. So we decided to go direct to Airbnb and dispute the refund as their web page says a full refund in the event of a natural disaster. Lucky for us but sad for others, on 2 Jan everyone was ordered to leave the area and so our claim was honoured and we received a full refund.
We were happy with the house. It was plenty big enough for all of us and the new dog.
"Chief" is a spoilt Border Terrier but very cute.
Let's get the party started. It is a week after Christmas but who cares when you are with the ones you love.
Prawns, ham and salads with lots of wine.
We received lovely gifts. The next day Bernie had organised us a trip to a winery for lunch and viewing of a sculpture park. ( next post where the weather surprised us)














