Brisbane, QLD


Wednesday, January 15, 2020

A WINERY IN WINTERY WEATHER


On day 2 of our holiday on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria, Bernie took us to his favourite winery for a tasting, lunch and a walk through their sculpture park. Mornington Peninsular is quite famous for its wine.
  Banjo shows me the entrance to the "Pt Leo Estate Winery"

 It was a beautiful restaurant overlooking the sculpture park and Port Phillip Bay. Bernie uses his celebrity charm to organise us a good table and service. (For new readers, who don't know, our SIL is an actor.)

 The family, we only get together a few times a year as we all live in different states but at least they are all in Australia now. Carol and David lived in London for 9 years and Sonya and family lived in LA for 5 years.

 Starters: A carrot soufflé and I can't remember the one below. I forgot to take the main course.

After lunch we were to walk around the sculpture park. Bill took one step outside and said, "i'm not going." The weather had turned windy and very cold. It was below 12°C with an icy wind off the South Pole. I couldn't believe the eastern part of Victoria was suffering a heatwave of  39°C and raging bushfires and here, just south of Melbourne, it was freezing.
 I started walking with the rest of the family but it was awfully cold and windy. The boys are used to this type of weather.
  I asked Fox to take a photo of me freezing.


 The sculptures were spread out over a big area and they were very interesting. The one on the right changed its shape when you looked at it from different angles.

This was my favourite of the few that I saw. I was too cold to bother taking photos of the information plaques so I can't tell you the artists.

 The others hurried off to see more but I 'baled' and returned to the warm restaurant. 

I'm a true Queenslander and love the hot weather.


27 comments:

  1. The sculptures do look amazing. Don't blame you for going back to the warmth, I wouldn't have gone in the cold wind either.
    Nice restaurant. The boys have grown :) as they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food looks delicious and I also love sculptures the one you like is amazing. Nice to go with the family but a shame that it was so cold. Amazing these differences in temperatures I think Melbourne is in all ways a bit like Christchurch

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks a splendid place. Wineries are often good places to see artworks I've noticed. Unfortunately for me I always seem to be driving and never able to sample the wares.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how things can move from hot to cold so quickly and after warm weather it feels freezing. We haven't been to the Mornington Peninsula, we planning to go there last year and it didn't come off. Maybe this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sculptures and you really look cold. Here we have a "warm" winter with 12 C degrees! It is supposed to be under zero at this time of the year but temperatures are rising more every day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We sound so alike, I hate the cold and a cold wind is enough to stop me going out. Interesting set of sculptures but it was good that you all managed to meet up. Keep warm t'other Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, the winery, restaurant and sculptures are all beautiful. Looks like a nice place to visit.
    Wishing you a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to be all together like that Diane. How amazing that the weather was so icy cold.. wouldn't mind a bit of freezing weather right now 😉

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious looking dishes at that restaurant. Didn't expect to read that you'd be having winter weather in what is technically your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sculptures, Diane, but I'm with you in hating the cold, especially if it's windy. The food looks delicious though! That's art too, right? :-) I found your blog through a comment you left on Mille Fiori Favoriti. Have a wonderful week!

    ~Christie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Very cool place! I love the sculptures but I am also a fan a warm weather! HA

    ReplyDelete
  12. even some of the scultures look cold. we are the same here, we are roasting here in FL, using AC last night, going in high 80's. record heat for January and 1000 miles away they are freezing and having snow blizzards. I love the view from your big long table and you are blessed to have him as a son in law and also blessed to get all the family on one continent

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are some great sculpture there. I like the one that was your favorite the best. That looks like a great way to spend a day out. I see wines from Mornington Peninsula quite often at my local wine store. We are hearing so much about the extreme heat that it's hard to imagine it being so cold in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got cold just looking at your photos from the sculpture garden, but the restaurant looked very nice. I'll bet the food was delicious as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Literally i loved what u post ..u present it so well that it catches my eyes and loved reading ur blog ..

    ReplyDelete
  16. The sculptures look good, and the food looks and sounds delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too bad the weather was not more conducive to walking around to see those scultures as the ones you did show looked amazing, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's wonderful that you can all gather together for a few days. Those boys are really growing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It did look a cold and blustery day. Loved all your photos :D)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pity about the weather. Winery lunches always seem so nice, although we have only had a couple. The sculpture park looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You do look pretty cold...What an interesting sculpture display...on a warm day it would be fun to view.
    Love your family times...its hard when people live so far from each other,,for sure.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  22. I recognize a few of the sculptures from Sculpture by the Sea. I love warm weather too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't blame you for baling out of that cold wind! Those sculptures are all very interesting! Your favorites look like they are used to the wind always blowing. That's wonderful your family was able to all get together and have a great time even if you did have to relocate. What a relief, too, that you were able to get all your money refunded!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Isn't it interesting how weather can vary so much? We see that quite a bit as our altitude is high so the sun is hot in winter but when it goes behind a cloud the temperature turns chilly very quickly. I'm glad you had a wonderful family reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Going somewhere different for a family reunion must be great fun. What changes in temperature you are experiencing over there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I understand how you and Bill felt. Living in SW Florida in Winter , we now can’t stand the cold at all. Yesterday it was in the low 50s (F) here and we barely stepped outside. Back in the day, in Oregon, that would have been a pleasant Winter day.

    ReplyDelete