Redcliffe Pier

Monday, January 26, 2009

Australia Day 26th January




HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY



Australians all let us rejoice,

For we are young and free;

We've golden soil and wealth for toil,

Our home is girt by sea;

Our land abounds in Nature's gifts

Of beauty rich and rare;

In history's page, let every stage

Advance Australia fair!

In joyful strains then let us sing,

"Advance Australia fair!"

In 1788 Captain Arthur Phillip was sent down under with 11 ships full of convicts and and some marines. His mission was to start a penal colony so England could dump all their unwanted riff raff here.

The 11 ships were called "The First Fleet"





After many months at sea they arrived at Botany Bay where Captain Cook had landed 18 years before. Phillip couldn't find a decent source of fresh water for a settlement so he sailed a little further north and found Port jackson and started the settlement at Sydney Cove.





Australia Day Celebrations in Brisbane.



10 comments:

  1. Now you`ve got me singing the national anthem...lol
    Hope you had a great day Diane.....I love our Country....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Australia Day to you and yours!
    I have not heard of this before. I always learn so much when I come here to your blog.

    God Bless,
    Amy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Happy Australia Day to you! How fun - today is "National Bubble Wrap Day" here...Hmmm..need I say more??

    Have a great day - what's the custom? Picnics? Cook-outs? Tell us what you do to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on Australia Day! Wish I was there to have seen the works. I love history of places. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great information. I'm quite curious about a few things in Australian history. I'll have to quiz you sometime ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great image of the celebrations in Brisbane Diane wonderful photo.

    I meant to get on your earlier posts and say how sorry I was to hear about your beloved brother. It was a lovely tribute you did for him and the tree will share his memories for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh to be YOUNG and free! Middle Aged will have to do.

    Lovely Aussie Day up this way, hope yours was fabulous as well!

    Beer at 8.30am - I'm sure the men are still suffering...

    What was with the Aussies losing the cricket on Australia Day though??????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Diane,
    You did a good job with your Australia Day presentation to all of us. I hope you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good one Diane...we are so lucky lucky..duh now where did I hear that before. Love the pics.

    Condolences regarding the previous post...and to have a living reminder is thoughtful.

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete