Brisbane, QLD


Friday, September 16, 2016

SWELL SCULPTURE FESTIVAL

Every year there is a free outdoor sculpture exhibition held on Currumbin Beach on the Gold Coast. I have always wanted to go but never got around to it but at last we went. We were with friends from Bill's  U3A Video Group and Camera Club. 
So come along with me for a walk down the beach to view some of the 50 sculptures.


'Message in a Bottle' by Lauren Gray &Steven Hing NSW

 'Earth Being' by Kris Martin QLD (all made with natural fibres, it had hair made from bushes but they have disappeared)

 'Seafaring Voyager' by James Worth QLD

 'The Lost Art of the 20th Century' by Karl de Waal QLD ( The flotsam and jetsam of life washed up onto solitary shores)

' Finders Keepers' by Giuseppe Filardo QLD. (A lost black diamond pendant)

 My favourite was  "Project Bread" by Clayton Thompson VIC. You could walk inside it too. It is made from donated bread crates and depicts the ugly truth of the Global Wealth Pyramid where 1% of the world's population own 50% of the wealth. 'Bread' is slang for 'money'.


 After walking the length of the beach we went up to the road and footpath where there were many more sculptures. But on the beach there was another of my favourites. "With You" by Katie and Derek Hooper QLD. (Embracing togetherness, the drawing in of a healthy, outdoorsy, happy life.)

 "Village Bike' by Gold Coast Inc QLD. Made from recycled bikes and the wheels spin in the wind. (If the toads in us rode bikes rather than drove cars we would be a lot better off.)

I'm sure you are tired like me after slogging through thick sand with two cameras around my neck so lets go for lunch at the surf club where we can gaze out to sea or look up and down the golden beaches on both sides and eat seafood.

26 comments:

  1. I enjoy outdoor sculptures and these beach ones are great. So pleased you added their titles making it much easier for me to understand what the artist had in mind. They all look so perfect on the beach. I like the symplectic shape of 'seafaring voyager' very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very fond of 'Earth Being', though I'm not sure why. The beach is a great place to display artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos, Diane. My favourite is the necklace. They are all fun, good and some with a message. Currumbin Beach is such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like those outdoor sculpture exhibitions. These are so fun to watch. I like that necklace also very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walking on sand is tiring. My favourite are the bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Diane, what a fun festival. I love the sculptures and have a few favorites. Earth being is one and the pyramid is cool. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a wonderful variety of sculptures in this exhibition - it must have been very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. first let me say I LOVE THAT BEACH... the art is amazing, and all show true talent, a God given gift to be able to create like this. I tried to pick a favorite which is hard. the necklace and the message in the bottle are so appealing.. but that funky head is wonderful even minus its hair. glad you showed the close up the bread boxes, in the whole pic I could not see the detail. love the post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos of interesting sculptures, Diane. I love the "With You" exhibit the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow they are amazing. A little imagination can produce amazing works of art. Love them T'other Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some very clever, and thought-provoking sculptures there, Diane! They look great. I hadn't heard of this before so thank you for letting us all know; I must keep it in mind for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All the creative sculptures.
    I love the white sandy beach.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely post and I'm sure glad you slogged through the sand with cameras at hand!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like such a fun and interesting event! Your photos are just great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Couldn't think of a nicer ending to the day after a walk along the beach, a nice cold drink and a meal at a restaurant. Those sculptures are great Diane. I love to see the artistic mind at work. People came up with wonderful pieces of art.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a fun event , and in such a beautiful spot. Love the project bread and also the village bike. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those first and last landscapes fill me with longing! I enjoyed the tour of the sculptures. I really like Earth Being.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is something about outdoor sculpture that I really like. I guess the background adds another dimension of interest. I like Earth Being, the way what seems to be under the sand is left to the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow what a great outdoor exhibit, Diane. Although I can image that by the end of the day it was exhausting being in the sun and on the same. Thanks for the sculpture tour.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These sculptures appeal to me, creative and attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the politics behind Project Bread. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. highly creative and such varied artistic styles. I assume it was a juried exhibit -- Certainly I agree with the statement behind "Bread" but I have to admit I liked the elegant simplicity of Seafaring Voyage" the best. I suppose the birds used the "Earth Beings" hair for nesting materials!

    ReplyDelete
  23. They are all wonderful! I especially love the soda bottles and the big necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gracias por pasar por el blog tuve un error y se me borraron todos los comentarios que habia en algunas entradas que mal verdad.
    ‌Si sento si en alguna no te respondo por lo que ya te comentado.

    Me gusta mucho el tuyo.

    http://anna-historias.blogspot.com.es/2016/09/muerte.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  25. Some of those are really fun - but walking in the soft, dry sand must be hard work!

    ReplyDelete