Brisbane, QLD


Friday, August 19, 2016

FROM THE TOP TO THE BOTTOM (Kangaroo Island 1)

After out Savannah Way tour we had planned to catch "The Ghan" train from Darwin to Adelaide in South Australia. It travels right through the middle of Australia from the top to the bottom. It would have been a three day trip with stop overs in outback towns. Unfortunately, the train itinerary and times changed at the last minute and we weren't able to get a connection to match up with our hotel and our flight home bookings. So instead we flew to Adelaide and booked a tour to Kangaroo Island.

In the afternoon we arrived in Adelaide after a three and a half hour flight from Darwin. We checked into our apartment and later found a lovely Italian Restaurant for dinner. It was freezing cold compared to up north. Luckily we had packed winter clothes too.

 The next morning we were picked up at 6:30am for a trip to Kangaroo Island for two days. It is a two hour bus ride through the Fleurier Peninsular to Jervis Bay and then 45 mins on the ferry. Luckily, the sea was calm.

 Another coach picked us up and we started the tour. 

 The island is known for its cold windy weather but we were very lucky and had warmish  winter days. First stop was Pennington Bay where we saw beautiful pristine beaches with no buildings. Then we visited an Eucalyptus Oil distillery . We were shown how the oil is made from specially grown, narrow leafed Eucalyptus Trees. Afterwards, had a delicious hot lunch at Vivonne Bay.

 The best part of the day was a visit to Seal Bay, where there is a colony of Australian Sea Lions. These are a very rare type of seal with only two colonies in the world. This one and one in WA. There are only 12,000 left. As we walked down to the beach we saw some resting in the dunes. They have such a cute face.

 We were not allowed to get too close to them for both their safety and ours.

 Mum and and young ones resting and keeping warm.


 Young males arguing over a female.

 The female that has caught the eye of the bulls.

 "Okay you're mine honey." "You have to catch me first. I'm out of here."

A 30 second video of Australian Sea Lions at kangaroo Island.

Another one snoozing under the board walk. Then it was back in the coach for yet more wild life visits. (next post)

29 comments:

  1. What an amazing tour and sight this must have been to see :) thank you for sharing with us.

    I wish you a beautiful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful landscape again ! and these Sea lions (I want one) If there were not 20 h or more flight between us I would invade your house !

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sea lions look very at ease here. They look different indeed as the brown ones I have seen in San Francisco lying in the harbour there, and making a lot of noices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pity you missed the Ghan trip. It is something for the future and I think ToH might like to do it. Alligator River where there are only crocodiles and Seal Bay where there are sea lions, rather than seals. The eucalyptus distillery would have been interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, sounds like an awesome tour Diane! I'd love seeing the seals, wonderful collection of photos. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great trip Diane. I love the adventures you take us on and the photos and video were fun to look at. Thanks so much. Looking forward to the next installment at Kangaroo Island :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wish this fat body could run like those seals in your video.. the seals make my heart feel warm and fuzzy... did you see kangaroos on kangaroo island or just seals and beautiful beaches. that road through the trees is AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great views of the sea lions! Especially the lady the Bulls were fighting over -- she's very cute. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane your country is a real paradise of nature and wildlife...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks a great place for your impromptu visit. Lots to see and observe. I saw sea lions in the Galapagos Islands and the smell was overwhelming. Did you have a similar experience?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been told that besides being dangerous if you get too close,
    their breath will knock you out.
    Great lot of photos with a fantastic reporting of all.
    I think you may have been fortunate with "The Ghan" - it is no longer
    what it once was. "T.O.H" would not have been impressed.
    Cheers
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great trip and wonderful photos! The seals are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. my husband was born on ki but i've never been. it's on my bucket list. the seals are lovely aren't they? i had no idea there were only two colonies left. great photos as usual Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought we might include Kangaroo Island on this trip but it wasn't to be, not enough time to fit it in. The sea lions remind me of the coast above San Fransico I don't think I've ever seen seals in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry to hear that the train trip did not work out, but I'm glad you made it to Kangaroo Island. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pity you missed the train trip, it all looks so amazing. Glad to hear some of those rare seals survive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just love those seals they are such beautiful creatures. The only time we went to Adelaide it was raining when we got off the plane and still raining when we got back on the one to leave several days later!!! We just did the wine route and got soaked inside as well as outside:-))) We had an amazing meal in a German restaurant somewhere but I have no idea now what it was called. Keep well t'other Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been Harndorf a cute little town with a German heritage . Its a shame it rained everyday you were there.

      Delete
    2. That sounds right, two day after we left the place was flooded so we only just got out in time!

      Delete
  18. Nice and exciting tour.. I love the seals.. They are so very cute.. :)

    Please visit..


    http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great spot KI is. I hope to do the Ghan trip on day.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Darwin, NT

    ReplyDelete
  20. Diane, I have just spent a wonderful time traveling with you by looking at this post and the older ones that preceded. You have the most wonderful travel experiences and thanks for sharing them through text and photos. I have never been "down under" but certainly hope to get a chance to visit one day. And, if not, I can visit through your informative posts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Diane! I see you and Bill have been on more adventures. It's always a pleasure to see what you've captured with your camera and read all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness those are pretty sea lions ... I always love seeing seals and sea lions but I think these are the cutest ones ever. Doesn't it feel weird to go from one climate to another in such a relatively short time? Surely one of the joys and amazements of air travel! This travel adventure has been just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds like a wonderful trip you've done. I'd love to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like a wonderful time was had, I would love to visit Kangaroo Island and Seal Bay one day I do say that a lot don't I

    ReplyDelete
  25. they are cute
    sure you enjoyed their company for while

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow Diane some fabulous pictures! I love the tree lined road a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've never heard of Kangaroo Island. I thought I'd netter start with this post and tour along with you. You and Bill are giving me the travel bug! Great photos. I love that tunnel of trees.

    ReplyDelete